With car insurance rates so high these days, consumers need to do all they can to ensure that they are getting the lowest possible rate in general car insurance. Obviously rates can vary from one company to the next, from state to state, and even by neighborhood. With that in mind, here are some general pointers for reducing your auto insurance premiums:
- Know the options of insurance to buy. Car insurance comes in many types, including comprehensive, collision, bodily injury and for uninsured motorists. Learn the difference between these types, as well as the minimum requirements in your state, and insure yourself accordingly. For example, if your car is an old beater, you may not want to bother purchasing comprehensive insurance.
- Get a good driver discount. Companies will reward you for having a clean driving record for more than three years, or for taking a defensive driving course.
- Make your car more safe and theft-proof. By equipping your car with air bags, anti-lock brakes, and an alarm or theft-retrieval system, insurance companies will give you a premium discount.
- Increase your deductible. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium. If you rarely have accidents, it might make sense to opt for a higher deductible. Just make sure that you have enough cash on hand to pay it, should you get into an accident.
- Consolidate your insurance coverage. Many companies will give you a discount if you insure more than one car with them, or add home or life insurance with them in addition to auto insurance.
Our featured partners for Auto Insurances Assistance:
In addition to home and auto insurance, Ameriprise Financial offers life and disability insurance as well as long-term care policies and annuities. Our advisors will be able to explain your options for each of these.
The Hartford AARP Auto Insurance
Safe drivers over the age of 50 can benefit with savings of up to $300 on their insurance premiums with the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford. Exclusively for AARP members, this program offers valuable benefits* such as lifetime renewability, lifetime repair warranty, new car full replacement value guarantee, and 24-hour claim service. Get your free quote and find out why 91% of our policyholders stay with us year after year.
* as benefits may vary by state
GE Auto Club
If you get stuck or stranded, we’ll be there. Get the help you need for pennies a day.
- 24-hour Roadside Assistance: Help when you have mechanical breakdowns, flat tires, dead batteries, lock-outs, and if you run out of fuel
- Travel Benefits and Services: Custom maps and directions, hotel and car rental discounts, and travel emergency expense reimbursements
- Additional Benefits and Services: Get up to $1000 in legal fee reimbursements against traffic violations, a membership card that can be used as an arrest bond certificate for traffic violations, and much more…
Get roadside assistance almost anywhere in the United States and Canada – for yourself and an additional household member!
Our featured partner for Investment Assistance:
The advantage of having an easy-to-follow, step-by-step investing process with easy-to-use Web-based tools is that you rely on facts to make decisions – not emotions. The benefits are less stress, better results and, dare we say it, fun.